Sunday, February 11, 2007

We're Back!!

Greetings from Taraz, Kazakhstan! It is 5:25am Monday, Feb. 12th here, which means it is 5:25pm Sunday, Feb. 11th at home! We just arrived at Hotel Gazovik off of the overnight Soviet Train. Once again, we didn't have any traveling problems at all--thanks for all the prayers! We were a little worried about landing in Almaty because it was foggy, but we were able to land. We have heard stories about planes not being able to land in Almaty due to fog, so they are diverted to Astana (the new capital of Kaz). Once there, they are delayed about 15 hours so that the crew can rest before flying back to Almaty. Thank you, Lord, that didn't happen!

When we walked outside of the Almaty airport yesterday morning, it wasn't nearly as cold as last time. It was 26 degrees Fahrenheit. Bulat and his son drove us to a new hotel this time in Almaty, called The Eurasia Grand Hotel. It just opened last spring. It's location is very convenient. The American Consulate is diagonally across the street, which we will be doing some paperwork at when we return to Almaty after the 15 day waiting period. The RAM Megastore is a little down from the Consulate. Also, the hotel is connected with a little shopping center! We thought this would be very convenient on our way back when we have Caleb with us and will have to stay longer. Then when we went to check out, we learned it cost $180 a night! We'll have to weigh the pros and the one big con before we decide if we'll stay there or not.

Bulat's son and nephew came to pick us up from the hotel at 5:30pm for our overnight train ride. His nephew was in an exchange student program and stayed in Pennsylvania in "the year two thousand and fifth"--as he put it! I thought that was cute. When he found out where we were from, he asked if we knew of the NBA Basketball team called the San Antonio Spurs. We said that yes, we love our Spurs! He says he watches NBA Basketball all the time, and that his favorite team is the Denver Nuggets.

The train ride went very smoothly. We slept some--I slept more than Brad did. Brad actually ventured into the restroom, which he said was much better than a port-a-potty! Not me--I'm a teacher--I can hold it a long time! When it was our stop, we somehow managed to get all of our luggage out of our car and down the hall. (We had help from the two guys earlier.) Once we got to the door, we were greeted by Janet and one of our drivers, Nicoli. As we were walking to the car, we again noticed it was not nearly as cold as last time we walked to our car from the train. We also noticed that it was foggy here, too, and wet...which leads me to...as we were walking down some slippery steps in front of the station, Brad bit it! He fell hard on the steps. He jumped right up, you know like you do when you're embarrassed and act like you're fine! (I wasn't acting, I am fine - Brad) When I was teasing him later about him being bruised up, he said that actually the backpack (with the laptop in it) broke his fall! Well, Brad's fine and so is our laptop!

When we got to the Gazovik, I was excited that we were able to get our same room as before! I know it sounds strange to be excited about this, but a lot of the other rooms have two twin beds in them instead of one queen bed, like ours does. Also, just the familiarity helps when you're so far away from home.

Sorry, but we don't have any pictures to post, yet. We're not sure if we're going to see Caleb later today, or not. We assume so. Assyra (our translater) is supposed to call us later today (we are unable to communicate much with Janet or Nicoli). We do know, however, that our court date is February 14th at 10am. (So be thinking about us and praying for us on the evening of Feb. 13th!) I sort of wanted it to be on Tuesday, the 13th so that we could go ahead and start the waiting period, but as Mom A. said, "It'll be neat to have it on Valentine's Day!" That day will be so much more special!

Well, hopefully this all makes sense and I haven't rambled too much! Brad has already asked how much I'm going to type.

We will post more soon!
Love,
Pet and Brad

4 comments:

Ginny said...

So glad you made it safely! I can't wait to see the babies reaction to seeing you guys again. Being so little you never know, but I'm sure it won't take long for him to smile and snuggle. Just to know that this is the last trip and it won't be long now before he is yours to keep. Valentine's Day will always be dear to all our hearts. Do they have any strange holidays like we do? Take Care. Always in our prayers Love Ginny and Gary

Lanoma said...

The excitement builds!! I have been checking for a new blog and I was talking to Ginny tonight and she told me there was a new one. It gave me a good chuckle!! You must be about to burst with excitement. I think Caleb will be happy those two people came to play with him again. Won't he be surprised when he gets to be with you full time? He certainly has a beautiful room to come home to. Valentine's Day will never be so special again. Glad your trip there was good (except for poor Brad's fall)and will be praying for your time there and your trip home. I'll be watching for new pictures. Lanoma

Judie said...

I am so happy you are going to be parents!! What an adventure you are having. May God richly bless you and your new family member! Judie

Mitzi/Tony/Tyler/Anthony/Mom/Dad said...

Hey,
We're glad everything's going well. We'll keep praying for you and Caleb and for a waiver on the waiting period!!!

Well, the Valentine's Day banquet was a big success! We did our HeeHaw skits (Anthony sang one & he looked so cute all dressed up...or maybe I should say dressed down). Anyway, Dad, Tony, & I did "Man of Constant Sorrows" from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou". We all had beards, corny hats, corncob pipes, overalls, etc. We were a hit! But I think Dad may have overdone it a bit. He's sick today with a 102.7 fever. He's going to the doctor tomorrow, but Mom's going to watch him tonight, so pray for him, too.

I'll tell you the whole story when you get back, 'cause it's long. I tried writing it & then when I sent it, I didn't type the username right, and it all disappeared. If Tyler was feeling better, I'd type it again, but he's still not quite well yet.

Well, we're all anxious to hear from you & see the pics! I can't wait to see how quickly he'll remember you guys. I know we all want ALL of you back home!!! Give my nephew lots of kisses for me.

Love you