Monday, January 8, 2007

The Baby!!!

Well, after thinking we'd be able to visit the baby house in the morning...no, we'd have to wait until the afternoon. The driver picked us up around 2:20 with our representative and our translator. Our representative, Janet, had just been to the Ministry of Education to file some of our paperwork so that we could go to the baby house called Umit. When we got to the baby house, a short drive from our hotel, we went into the director's office. I had heard that she wasn't very friendly, was intimidating, and didn't smile. As we were walking in, our translator told us that we were very lucky that today was the new director's first day. We walked in and she was all smiles. The social worker was in there as well, and mostly the director, social worker, and Janet talked with each other. We were asked an occasional question. The director said that we were a nice, young couple, and asked what we did. Brad explained what he did, and I told them I was an elementary teacher. (I had already learned they don't have grade levels in school, just elementary or high school.) The social worker said, "Ahh, so we are colleagues. " I smiled and said, "Yes." She continued, "Well, we saved the cutest, best baby for our colleague!" Finally, the baby was brought in by the baby house pediatrician. He was wearing pink and a bonnet on his head!!! He also had three different layers of clothes on. He was very nervous! When I took him, he was still scared, but didn't cry. He whimpered every once in a while on our walk to the room where we could play with the baby. The interpreter said we could put our diaper and clothes on him, which we wasted no time to get him out of the pink! I took off his bonnet and his hair wasn't red, it was a light brown. They keep his hair very short--he's already had his first haircut! He has the most beautiful eyes...I think a combination of green, brown, and blue. He has two large front teeth on top, and one on bottom. He was a little unsure about us changing him, but like I said he never cried. He has a huge outie belly button! By the end of our time, which was very short today, he had relaxed completely. We had played with a few of the toys we brought, played peek-a-boo, and bounced him on our knee (which he really loved!) He doesn't seem to be too developmentally delayed! He can sit up, support himself on hands and knees, he supports his weight on his legs when we hold him up under his arms, etc. The interpreter says he can crawl, but when we set him down, he mainly scooted. I don't know if he can and just didn't or couldn't yet. Of course, he probably hasn't been given much of an opportunity to crawl yet. He seemed to love the attention and affection he was getting. The interpreter told us that he weighed 3.4 kilograms at birth and 8.5 kilograms now. I told Brad to write that down, so we could convert it to pounds later. (Yes, I'm a teacher! I did remember from teaching 2nd grade that 1 kilogram weighs about the same as 1 hammer. So our son weighs 8 and a half hammers!) When we got back to the hotel, I figured it out that he weighed 7.48 pounds at birth and 18.7 pounds at 9 months. (Seems pretty normal to me.) When I changed his clothes, I put him in a 9 month old outfit which fit him fine. If they want us to dress him in three layers, like they do, I guess I'll put 9 month old clothes on bottom and 12 month clothes on top! Oh, also, he puts his ring and middle finger in his mouth...we tried to get a picture of this, but by the time we got the camera ready, he wasn't doing it anymore.
Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Here's the baby:
























8 comments:

B, K & Ash said...

He is adorable. We can't wait to meet him in person. Ashley was talking to the pictures of you guys and the baby. She is very excited about her new cousin, and we can't wait to see our new nephew. Keep the updates coming. We are so happy for you guys. Stay warm and give the baby a great big hug from TEXAS.

Mary R said...

He is so beautiful!!! I am so happy for you guys. We are still praying that you will be back sooner than you think. Everyone at school miss you and wish you the best. Send some of that snow down here we could use a liitle. Stay warm and can't wait to see all of you.

Ginny said...

He is absolutely adorable. What a blessing. He looks like he is settled just fine with you guys. How could he not be!!! Congratulations are definately in order. Love ginny and gary

Connie said...

What a cutie!!!! I want to bite those cheeks!!! You can sure tell that this is one boy who won't be spoiled!!! HAHAHAHA Thought I'd make a joke. Stay warm and keep the updates coming. We'll send y'all some Texas sunshine :)

Mitzi/Tony/Tyler/Anthony/Mom/Dad said...

Pretty cute kid ya got there, Sis. Guess he'll fit right in the family with all those good looks, huh? Seriously, he's just perfect!! I have tears just writing this...Can't wait to hold him in person. You give him special kisses from his Aunt Mitzi, (& Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle, cousins, etc.) Everyone just loved the pictures. Mom & Dad already had copies from Donna & Dean by the time I got here after work. Even Dean said he was cute!!! Well, yall take care and we'll keep praying for an early court date.
Love you bunches,

Hoop said...

What a little heartbreaker!! He is so cute. Did you have to pinch yourself to make sure your weren't dreaming? The kids in your class were so excited today when I told them that you finally go to meet the baby. They were beginning to get concerned. I can tell from the pictures how happy you are. You can definitely see that "new mom glow" on your face and Brad is already looking like a proud daddy. We are all so excited for you. Hopefully, this will all be over soon and you can bring that sweet boy home. Congrats, Melissa

Lanoma said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is soooo precious. You guys look like you have that natural parenting skill. I love all the pictures but especially the one where he is on Pethrie's lap and smiling. Looks like he is saying HI Mom!! When are we going home to Texas? Enjoy, be safe and hope to see all three of you soon.

Mom & Dad A. said...

What a cute, adorable, precious baby. He is perfect for ya'll and the whole family. We are so happy for you. I've had lots of tears today. I am thanking God for all the answered prayer. God is so good. I'm also thankful for technology. It is wonderful seeing you, the baby,hearing about everything and knowing things are going to well. Karen helped me with the computer so I could send this comment. I guess you're never too old to learn. We love you so much, miss you, and can't wait to hold our new grandbaby. Keep the pictures coming. Lots of Love, Mom & Dad