Friday, January 12, 2007

Days 4 and 5



Thursday
Well, Thursday, we didn't eat breakfast...oh my goodness, no porridge! We ate yogurt and Pringle's for lunch. The driver, our rep, and our translator picked us up a little early so that we could visit another hotel. They said they could show us some rooms that were bigger than the one we're in now and cheaper. We visited the Hotel Zhambyl. (Zhambyl is the name of the region where Taraz City is located.) The hotel is older, but they did have a room with a living room/bedroom for half the price of the room we're in now. We decided tomorrow we'd check out of our hotel and into The Zhambyl. Then we went to the orphanage. Caleb came in and immediately started playing with us. We put him in the walker that was already in the room. (Up until now we had only played with the toys we brought--so, I wiped the walker down with an antibacterial wipe before he came in!) He first started going backward, then when he was backed up against the wall he went forward. He seemed to control it pretty well and enjoyed it. Today they didn't put him in the outfit we left for him--they had him in that same original outfit we brought. We have to take pictures with the dates on it of each day of bonding for court, so I want him wearing different clothes. I don't want them to think we faked it! So, we changed him into a new outfit and took the first one with us! Today I was holding Caleb facing Brad and they were talking to each other. Brad started clapping and Caleb did too. It was so cute! Something else funny that happened on a previous day that I forgot to tell you was Caleb kept pulling my hair and trying to put it in his mouth. I said, "Neeyet!" He started to cry! Brad and I cracked up! Nine month olds don't like the word "No" in any language!
When our time with Caleb was up, we went back to our hotel. We went to eat dinner in our hotel. Brad ordered something that, ironically, tasted like meatloaf. He liked it. I ordered my same salad, bread, and get this...chicken noodle soup! Of course, I basically just ate the noodles. Two words for you: bird flu!

Friday
Well, this morning we moved to our new hotel. We hated the room...we couldn't get the Internet to work (the phone cord was spliced with a piece of tape), the room was really cold, and the toilet didn't work. We moved to another room. It is smaller than our room in the previous hotel and is only saving us a little money. Plus, breakfast was included at the other hotel and not this one--I sure am gonna miss my porridge. Yes, we wish we wouldn't have moved! (Oh and to top it all off, they had just switched to two-ply quilted toilet paper at the other hotel--What were we thinking?!) Brad just said that he can't get the toilet to flush in this room either--we may be moving back to The Gazovik!!! All of these hotel problems are the reason we didn't get to post "on time"--sorry! Our visit with Caleb today went well again. He started off in a good mood, then about halfway through acted like his teeth were bothering him again. We gave him Babydent and fed him some fruit. He looks so cute when we feed him. For some reason he always turns his head sideways for me to put the spoon in his mouth. He walked in the walker some more. We stayed a little later than usual for some reason, and he started getting really cranky. I rocked him back and forth to calm him down. He put his fingers in his mouth and fell asleep. We may "hear about it" tomorrow because of messing up his schedule, but oh well. He was tired, his teeth hurt, and he felt very comfortable in Mama's arms!





Tonight we ate dinner at our new hotel's restaurant. Brad and I both ordered a salad, mashed potatoes, and we each ordered a different chicken dish. Yes, I ordered meat, despite my fear! Brad really liked his. Mine was called a chicken cutlet. Sounds like a thin piece of breaded chicken, right? Wrong, it was thick and stuffed with stuff--I don't even know what! It looked like anchovies or something. Needless to say, I didn't eat much of it!



















































7 comments:

B, K & Ash said...

Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us. We love the pictures and the stories. Pet - you are hilarious! I smile the entire time I'm reading your blogs. Miss you guys and can't wait to see you. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you!

Ginny said...

He is bonding so well with you guys which is no surprise. The picture of Brad and him looking at each other is priceless. When will you find out about the court date? Can you visit him over the weekend? Are you stays for four hours or longer? Is it expensive for food in that region? I guess no cost would be too much if the food was good. I hope you can find something edible soon or you will wast away to nothing. Take care and God Bless Ginny and Gary

Hoop said...

I think he gets cuter every day. Do you know if it would be possible for us to send you a care package with food? I'm beginning to worry about you not eating enough. I don't want you to get sick while you are there. Keep the pictures coming and make sure you write down your thoughts about each picture so that when you scrapbook all of the pictures you will have the journaling all ready to go. We miss you!!
Melissa

B, K & Ash said...

Mom is still having trouble publishing comments on the blog so I'm going to pass along a brief note from them until we get them up and running:

Mom and Dad say that they love reading the blogs and seeing all the pictures. They really enjoyed hearing from you guys the other day. They love you and miss you and want you to give Caleb a great big kiss. Ashley says Hi also.

Talk to you soon.

Mitzi/Tony/Tyler/Anthony/Mom/Dad said...

Oops I posted on Day 3 so I'm repeating it here in case you didn't see it. Hey guys! The pictures look great! I guess there's no question of Aggie or Longhorn here. He's even doing the number one sign AND the hook em horns. Anyway, Hey Katrina! It's good to here from you, too, via half-way around the world! Well, Tyler went to a birthday party today, and boy did he have a ball! Can't wait for his first birthday next month. Then, hopefully we'll see Caleb there, too. If Ashley can come too, they'll have a ball!!Everything's fine here. Nothing much new to report. No snow yet...big surprise I guess. Anthony wants to know if you'll be back soon. I told him you're not sure when you'll be back, and he said, "Aww, I want to see my new cousin." Guess we all can't wait. Carol's having trouble getting her account to sign in to comment, but she's reading everything. She's going to try a different name today, and if that doesn't work, I'll help her at church tomorrow. I had to sign mine up twice before it worked. Well, send more news soon. We love seeing those pictures, and hearing all the news. Caleb looks like he's really happy with you. I know it must be killing you to leave him each day. We'll keep praying...Love you. P.S. If the Kazakhstan diet works, I might have to try it. I've tried about everything else. You're gonna get a baby and LOSE weight. Sounds like a deal to me!

Mitzi/Tony/Tyler/Anthony/Mom/Dad said...

O.K. the English teacher in me can't stand that I misspelled "here" so I have to come on and correct it..."hear"..there I feel better....

Lanoma said...

It looks like Caleb has decided he wants you for parents. He looks more relaxed everytime he sees you. Technology is great!! It is so fun to able to share this experience with you. The only bad thing is I know the new message will be there in the morning so I have to look at the pictures and then read the message and then look at the pictures again. I've been late to school two days this week. I just say sorry, I was looking at Caleb. My prayer is that this will become complete very quick and you can come home, eat some good food and sleep in your own bed. The food and hotel situation sounds horrible. Take care. Lanoma